SharePoint User Group UK

Share the knowledge!

Welcome to SharePoint User Group UK Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos Files Roller

Specifying your own global.asax?

Last post 09-28-2007, 2:25 AM by harbars. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-28-2007, 12:32 AM 5776

Specifying your own global.asax?

Hi  There,

I have a number of application I am intergrating into MOSS. These applications have there own Global.asax files within there Virtual Directory in IIS, thats setup some global configuration settings within the app. Is their a way of specifying within a web part to use a specific application global.asax file? Is this possible?

I know you can leverage the sharepoint global.asax file to provide some of your own global custom settings, but I have a number of applications, that all have there own Global.asax files that are used in different ways depending on the application requirements. I am trying to find out if it is possible to specify your own custom global.asax file within webparts? If this cannot be done, then I just need some confirmation , so I can take another approach.

Thanks if anyone can answer this?

Regards

Bobby Habib
  •  09-28-2007, 12:47 AM 5780 in reply to 5776

Re: Specifying your own global.asax?

No. You don't wanna go there basically :)

s.

Cheers
    Spence
    www.harbar.net
  •  09-28-2007, 12:53 AM 5782 in reply to 5780

Is that bad. :-) Can it be done? Or do you think its a no-goer? To much messing around. it sounds to me you have walked this route already? Can you care to share you experience?

Thanks anyway for your response.

Regards

Bobby Habib
  •  09-28-2007, 1:47 AM 5791 in reply to 5782

It can't be done without causing a horrible unmaintable mess!
    There's no way to say "Web Part X on Page Y - go get info from /server/app/global.asax" without some really nasty hacks!

Remember these ASP.NET apps are external to sharepoint.
    Also, why is config in global.asax as opposed to config files?

Basically this config needs to be moved/replicated to a shared store which is accessible to the apps *and* SharePoint.

Cheers
    Spence
    www.harbar.net
  •  09-28-2007, 2:07 AM 5792 in reply to 5791

Thank You.

I thought it was something along those lines. I just needed some form of confirmation, which is what you have done. :-)

I am doing a migration from Plumtree to MOSS at the moment and looking at converting Gadgets to Web Parts. These Gadgets run of a gadget server that has virtual directorys setup for these applications and the gadgets are hosted from these virtual directories. The client has a framework that uses Plumtree variables and this framework uses the Global.asax  file to retrieve all portal parameters. I needed to see if I could try and migrate the application and to also keep the applications as intact as possible, as all the application pages inherit plumtree portal variables. So I am exploring the options; I think I am going to have redesign this part of the clients framwork. I agree with you with regards to your last comment, config setting should reside within config files.

Cheers for your input .

Regards

Bobby Habib
  •  09-28-2007, 2:25 AM 5793 in reply to 5792

Oh man!

You have stumbled across the right (or wrong depending upon how you look at it) person.
    I've done the two successful global plumtree -> sharepoint migrations.

Not want you want to hear - but dude - if it's even a remote possibility -  throw them gadgets where they need to be and re-implement them properly in real .NET. Those plumtree variables and "objects" are the nastiest form of wrapped wrapper known to man.. I mean who stores config in global.asax anymore - that's so classic ASP! :)

Co-existance will basically kill your MOSS perf/scale/usability. A world of hurt.

Cheers
    Spence
    www.harbar.net
View as RSS news feed in XML