SharePoint User Group UK

Share the knowledge!

Welcome to SharePoint User Group UK Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos Files Roller

To provision mysites or not to provision mysites

Last post 05-03-2012, 7:52 PM by EagleUK. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-20-2012, 2:18 PM 28038

To provision mysites or not to provision mysites

That is the question that I am trying to answer at this stage of our planning, does anyone have an argument either way?

We are a large multi disciplinary organisation looking to use SharePoint 2010 as a corporate EDRMS in the first instance. We want to create a user workspace that will allow people to work with and independently of their colleagues. are we best using mysites to do this or filtered views of team sites?

All comments and thoughts welcome

Lesley

Lesley Holmes
  •  05-03-2012, 7:52 PM 28724 in reply to 28038

Re: To provision mysites or not to provision mysites

Lesley,

My Sites provides an easy way to roll up content such as Tasks from across the application. While this can be done through other means, MySites makes it fairly painless. You can also use it for informal collaboration and sharing without provisioning sites especially for that. If you customize the site template, you can create fairly decent user profiles that can be used for locating people with certain expertise. Think of MySites as a moderately easy way to get a Facebook-like, LinkedIn-like, and home page/directory capability OOTB. Great for quickly accessing your files on the road too.

The downside is that MySites is fairly resource-intensive, both in terms of storage and administration. You really want to plan out your giovernance beforehand so that you don't bury yourself in problems.

There is a book out on customizing MySites:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-SharePoint-2010-Customizing-Computing/dp/0735662088/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336070866&sr=1-1

I haven't read it yet, but have heard from others that it is useful. It might be worth reading that before making up your mind.

Hope this helps,

Steve Eagleson
View as RSS news feed in XML