SharePoint User Group UK

Share the knowledge!

Welcome to SharePoint User Group UK Sign in | Join | Help
in
Home Blogs Forums Photos Files Roller

Removing dead user accounts in Sharepoint Content Database

Last post 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM by BaltoBuckeye. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-23-2009, 2:39 PM 19534

Removing dead user accounts in Sharepoint Content Database

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice please as it appears there is nothing on the 'net to resolve this situation.

I basically have an old domain in my Sharepoint Farm that I want to turn off and stop importing any further updates from Active Directory. Turning this off within the SSP is relatively straightforward, but from my investigation I have found that those same user accounts are cached within the Content Database, within the UserInfo table.

Within the site administration it's easy enough to go through to the Site Settings, People and Groups, click on 'All People' and select the user account to remove and choose 'Delete Users From Site Collection', but this isn't practical when there are hundreds of users to remove and in most instances duplicate names. It's not possible to customise the view to show the user account information either!

Obviously I'm not going to start updating the SQL database directly to achieve this, but from my searching there doesn't appear to be any other solutions available.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason.

•  07-29-2009, 11:28 AM 20073 in reply to 19534

Re: Removing dead user accounts in Sharepoint Content Database

Hi Jason,

Did you ever find a solution to this? There doesn't seem to be anything on the net about it!!

Thanks James
  •  07-29-2009, 11:54 AM 20074 in reply to 19534

A couple of guys have solved this between them

http://stsadm.blogspot.com/2008/08/delete-all-users-from-site-collection.html

have a look further down the thread and you will see a user who has modified this to delete disabled/deleted users.

Mike

•  08-26-2009, 2:55 PM 20520 in reply to 20074

Hi,

Hmm.. not sure I'm getting notification of replies otherwise I would have answered this one already by now!

Yes - I've resolved this by means of using a Powershell script I found that would enumerate users against AD. I had to do some adaptation into the same script from other sources of information to put the users found into an array and then delete them, but appears to work fine. I'm no powershell expert, but had a developer check it through. Have tested it fully and appears to work fine, no problems. If you want a copy then let me know - use it at your own discretion though and I accept no responsibility!!

Regards,

Jason.

•  10-13-2009, 9:19 PM 20959 in reply to 19534

You can not do it with out of the box solution.. Out tool can help. Have a look at www.axceler.com and feel free to get in touch.

Max
    max.swan@axceler.com

Max Swan
    www.axceler.com
    max.swan@axceler.com
    +44(0)207 85 00199
  •  10-22-2009, 5:32 PM 21097 in reply to 20959

Thanks Max, but I wouldn't recommend anyone spend £14k on a product that with time and understanding on investigating a powershell script solution can provide the same results.

I'd happily provide the script for free if anyone wants it.

•  10-23-2009, 4:06 PM 21117 in reply to 21097

Thats very generous Cheason!

FYI Deleting dead users is probably 1/1000 of the funktionality that our tool does

Regards

Max Swan
    www.axceler.com
    max.swan@axceler.com
    +44(0)207 85 00199
  •  06-17-2010, 1:29 PM 24519 in reply to 20520

jason Can you please email me or post the powershell scripts to delete dead user accounts

Thanks

•  06-18-2010, 2:19 AM 24527 in reply to 19534

Hi Jason

Take a look at DeliverPoint from Lightning Tools. It does just the job and more besides and is relatively cheap.

Mark
    Director, Intelligent Decisioning Ltd
    http://www.id-live.com
  •  06-18-2010, 10:13 AM 24534 in reply to 24527

Hi Mark,

Thanks, but if you read the thread you'll see that I've developed a FREE powershell script to achieve the same results.

Jason.

•  08-03-2011, 3:45 AM 27110 in reply to 24534

Could you please send me the scipt as well? Thank you. Alex
  •  08-11-2011, 12:50 PM 27209 in reply to 20520

Hi

please send me powershell script i am not able to see the any link for your script.i am very thankful to your help.

Regards

Dharani
  •  01-24-2012, 10:14 PM 28071 in reply to 21097

I too would appreciate the Powershell script.  Would you please sent to me as well?
View as RSS news feed in XML