what appears to be happening is, of the 70 sites I needed to move, 9 of them has Doc Libaries which had used folders within folders within folders just like folks used to do in the old files system for storing docs. The other 61 all had meta data and had been using Categories and had views created to organise the Documents either within one Doc library or in to two or three as the project required.
all the fialures are in the Folder/Folder/Folder sites. although Export and import report no issues, the docs are just not there. Even simpana 7 (upgrading to 8.1 next week) can see the data in this folder structure, but the restore doesn't always work, if you rebuild all the folder structures exactly as they were before, then you seem to have a chance with the restore from simpana backup.
Lucky we have VM, recovered the server from the snap I took 1 hour before starting work into a private network along with a DC and PC, and jsut extracted all the Docs from the affected sites, deleted the Doc lib contents in the live, move the PC from private to live network, and copied the Docs complete with crappy folder structure back into the sites. Took a while to work all this out and get the VM's built and all the other sites validated, but it worked! Now all I need to do is get those 9 sites sorted out with some Categores and new Doc Libs.
Phew! that was a busy week, but we learned soooooo much which we hope to never have to use again.