11 October 2010 18:39
User Profile Sync + UAC + August Cumalitive Updates
Had a customer who installed latest August CU for SharePoint 2010 to address some issues with the User Profile Sync Service. Once they had it installed an rebooted the servers they ran into old "User Profile Sync Service stuck on starting" problem.
Turned out NOT to be the August CU, but rather UAC on the server, this resulted in an issue where ILM was not able to see the SQL service. Once we turned off UAC I was able to see in the logs that an the MIIS service was being upgraded, in debug mode (this was not being done BEFORE UAC was turned off), after this happened the sync service executed like a charm.
Prior to UAC being turned off, I managed to find verbose log entries saying that the SQL service could not be located by ILM and other similar things.
The User Profile account is not part of local admin on the server as has been indicated in various internet posts.
The customer turned UAC back on. Tests have shown that they need to turn this off before rebooting the server, otherwise the service will not sync again!